Table Talk with Chef Zachary Golper of Bien Cuit |
Answers Are In! ›
Basic Pizza Sauce
Chocolate Mousse Pie
Basic Chocolate Mousse
- 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup very cold heavy cream
- 3 large egg whites (no traces of yolk), at room temperature
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving (optional)
Chocolate mousse is all about ingredients and prep. There are only three ingredients, so they should be fresh and high-quality. Have your bowl and whisk for the egg whites immaculately clean and your cream very cold. If you’ve done these things, you’ll end up with a rich and perfectly whipped mousse that can kick the ass of any chocolate pudding.
To see this recipe with illustrated steps, check out The Basics: How to Make Chocolate Mousse.
- 1Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 2Place chocolate and 1/4 cup of the heavy cream in a large heatproof bowl. (Place remaining cream back in the refrigerator until ready to use.) Nest the bowl over the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Melt chocolate, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula, until smooth and combined with the cream. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and set aside to cool slightly.
- 3Place egg whites in a second large bowl and whisk vigorously until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes (make sure the bowl and whisk have no trace of oil or fat, or the whites will not whip properly); set aside. (Alternatively, you can use an electric mixer.)
- 4Clean and dry the whisk (or your beaters if you’re using an electric mixer). Place the remaining 3/4 cup heavy cream in a third large bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. (Alternatively, you can use an electric mixer.)
- 5Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate, then gently stir in the rest (try not to deflate the whipped cream). Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate-cream mixture just until there are no longer large blobs of whipped cream or egg white (do not overmix).
- 6Spoon the mousse or pipe it from a pastry bag into serving cups and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with additional sweetened or flavored whipped cream if desired.