Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Turkey Mulligatawny Soup
Mexican Turkey Meatball Soup
Ball-Ball Turkey Meatball Soup
- 3 large stalks celery, plus several leafy green stalks from celery heart (2 cups medium chopped)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 4 large carrots (1-1/2 cups, peeled and chopped into 1/8" squares)
- 3 Quarts Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1-1/2 tsp McCormick Poultry Seasoning
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Turkey
- 1-1/2 Cups Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 2 pkgs Precooked Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice
- 6-8 leaves finely chopped Fresh Basil
I own a small catering business and also raise money by selling Soups throughout the year for Relay for Life, which benefits the American Cancer Society. One of the soups I offer is Italian Wedding Soup, which my customer’s children call “Ball-Ball Soup” My contest entry is a healthier and easy to make version of that soup. This recipe is slightly little less spicy in order to appeal to the palates of young children. It is also inexpensive to make, is satisfying and would feed a family of six for two meals.
- 1In a large soup pot (with lid) add 1 quart of the chicken stock, all the diced celery, onions and carrots with ¾ level teaspoon of the poultry seasoning. Bring to boil, turn down and let simmer until tender (approx. 25 – 30 minutes). Strain out 1 mixed cup of the cooked celery, carrots and onion, puree in small food processor and set aside
- 2Break up the contents of the packages of quinoa and brown rice and drop into the soup pot, along with 2 quarts of chicken stock and let it come to a simmer.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, evenly break up the ground turkey, add the pureed celery, carrot and onion mix and blend. Then add bread crumbs and ¾ level tsp. of the poultry mix. Mix thoroughly and roll into large marble sized meatballs quickly while dropping them one by one into the simmering soup pot.
- 4Let everything simmer together after all the meatballs are in for about 25 minutes. The mini meatballs will rise to the top. Turn off, add finely chopped fresh basil and let sit for another 20 minutes before serving. Stir well to mix before scooping into bowls for serving.
Serve with homemade garlic and grated parmesan toasted crostini
Makes approximately 12, 1 ½ cup servings