Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Barbeque Macaroni and Cheese
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Baked Macaroni Shells and Cheese
- 1. 2-1/4 cups medium shells (I use Barilla but Ronco will work, too)
- 2. 3 cups Kraft Mild Cheddar Finely Shredded Cheese (I've discovered that Bordens cheese makes it taste a little better.)
- 3. 2 cups Kraft Sharp Cheddar Finely Shredded Cheese (I've discovered that Bordens cheese makes it taste a little better.)
- 4. 1 12oz. can of Nestles Carnation Evaporated Milk plus another 1/2 cup of any milk later
- 5. 1 tablespoon Argo 100% Corn Starch
- 6. 1 tablespoon Land O Lakes Salted sweet cream butter
- 7. A little salt and pepper to taste (If you don't like the little black spots throughout your dish, you can use white pepper.)
This is not the runny boxed kind but the real baked kind like grandma used to make.
It’s far better then any elbow mac & cheese I’ve ever eaten. You can eat this with a fork.
I was looking for the ‘old fashioned’ baked mac & cheese I remembered eating as a kid so I experimented until I accidentally stumbled upon the shells idea. The shells make it chewy and thick and oh, so much better then elbow macaroni.
- 1Under cook the shells a minute or two per box instructions then immediately rinse, drain, and set aside to cool a bit.
- 2The Roux: (sauce)
In a small sauce pan add milk, cornstarch, butter, salt & pepper then bring to a slow boil stirring constantly until thickened some.
- 3Remove from heat and let stand to cool down a little.
- 4Now, start preheating your oven to 350 degrees F to bake for 40 minutes.
- 5In a large bowl or the pot you cooked the shells in, mix the 3 cups Mild Cheddar Cheese to the shells with a wooden spoon very well.
(Try to fill all the shells with cheese)
- 6Now, add the rue and that additional 1/2 cup of milk and stir everything together well.
- 7When all is well blended, pour this soupy concoction into a 2 quart casserole dish and cover the top with the 2 cups of Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
- 8Bake, uncovered at 350 F, for about 40 minutes or until the edges start to turn a golden brown.
- 9When done, remove to cool a bit and serve. (It is hot!)