Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Green Chile Deviled Eggs
Truffled Deviled Eggs
Bacon and Cheddar Deviled Eggs
- 12 eggs
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons rendered bacon fat (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crumbled bacon, for garnish (optional)
- Crumbled Fiscalini bandage-wrapped cheddar, for garnish (optional)
Mitch Prensky, chef-owner at Supper in Philadelphia, shared this recipe with us. Hard-boiled egg yolks are mashed with mayonnaise, bacon fat, and thyme, then scooped into the hard-boiled egg whites and topped with crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese, for a breakfast-inspired riff on deviled eggs.
To see more of Prensky’s deviled egg recipes, check out this story.
This recipe was featured as part of our New Year’s Eve Speakeasy Party.
- 1Hard-boil the eggs; cool, peel, and halve them; and carefully remove the yolks. Reserve the whites.
- 2Combine the egg yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, bacon fat (if using), vinegar, and thyme in a medium, nonreactive bowl. Season well with salt and pepper, then mix well until the yolks are broken up and the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- 3Evenly pipe or spoon the yolk mixture into the reserved egg white halves. As desired, top with crumbled bacon and crumbled Fiscalini bandage-wrapped cheddar.