Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Spicy Mackerel with Chiles and Tomato
- 1/2 pound cured green olives, such manzanilla
- 1/2 pound cured black olives, such as kalamata
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oil-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Keep these around with some vodka for an instant cocktail hour, or serve them along with cured meat and Marinated Bocconcini for a homemade antipasti plate.
What to buy: Be sure to pick up high-quality olives and anchovies from the refrigerated section of your supermarket. Stay away from the canned varieties, which are flavorless.
Game plan: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 1Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to coat olives.
- 2Place in an airtight container and let marinate, refrigerated, at least 4 hours.
Beverage pairing: Domecq Manzanilla Sherry, Spain. Dry fino sherry is a perfect match for olives, because of its savory, herbal tang and apparent olive flavors. The sherry style of manzanilla furthermore is well known for its briny whiff of the sea, making it the perfect complement for this anchovy-inflected dish.