I have done a good deal of searching through the boards and am now looking for a bit more advise to firm up an eating itinerary during an upcoming trip to SF. Here are the details:
WHO: Former SF resident (and foodie) bringing my London born and bred partner on California trip of a lifetime. Trip is based around wine and food. SF will be our third main stop (after Santa Barbara/Central Valley and Big Sur). We will be moving on to Sonoma (Forestville) after SF. I am extremely adventurous (will eat pretty much anything). My loving boyfriend has gotten better over the years, but I would say he's into more traditional combinations - nothing too 'out there' in terms of ingredients and 'weird' combinations. We both love italian, he doesn't like chinese, or vietnamese (bummer), neither of us are very interested in French, and a major coup has been turning him on to sushi - woohoo!
WHEN: 4 days/3 nights, arriving on Tuesday Oct 9 and heading for Sonoma County on Friday Oct 12. Planning far in advance as I know some places book up quickly.
WHERE: San Francisco (obviously) - Haven't booked hotel yet, but thinking either Hotel Vitale (by the Ferry Building) or somewhere in/around Union Square. Food recommendations can be anywhere in SF, Oakland/Berkeley, Sausalito, etc. as we will have a car or can cab it.
WHAT: Looking for variety and good food without going into the 'Really, those ingredients go together?' area. I know SF is well known for 'creative cuisine' and happy to push the envelope slightly
* We definitely want at least 1 sushi dinner (note: we are coming from London so pretty much ANY sushi in SF is better than what we currently get) Was thinking maybe doing Sushi Ran in Sausalito for lunch or dinner as I want to show the GG bridge;
* Definitely 1 Cal-Italian place (when I lived in SF, A16 had just come on the scene and I loved it, same for Delfina - happy to go back to either of those, or something similar that's newer, Perbacco or Barbacco look good but are they better than A16 - I like the pizza option)
* Must show him what a burrito should actually taste like
* Probably want to do 1 more 'special occassion' place (though we will be coming from Big Sur - staying at the Post Ranch Inn and eating one dinner at Sierra Mar; and we will be heading up to stay at the Farmhouse Inn in Forestville and eating one dinner there so don't want it to be overkill)
* I love pastry so will likely hit Tartine or Arizmendi - are there any new places similar that I should know about?
* Will probably go to the Ferry Plaza Thursday Market - anything not to miss? (I know its not as big as Saturday's market)
Apologies for the long post, just thought I would give all the details as I know vague questions can be very annoying. Hopefully this provides some helpful guidelines.
Thanks in advance - promise to post reviews upon our return!
Updated 8 months ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 17
Updated 1 year ago | 11
Updated 2 years ago | 5
Updated 2 years ago | 2