Ratcliffe on the Green
My wife and I were in Charlotte this evening, as she was attending a conference at the Westin. We did some research here on the boards and discovered Ratcliffe on the Green. Since it was in walking distance of the hotel we thought we should give them a try. We each had the four course tasting menu (courses by diner):
First - Biscuits - Amazing homemade biscuits, what else can I say
1. Coquilles St. Jacques - Scallop was almost perfectly done, if not slightly underdone, which I prefer to being overcooked. The scallop was rather huge which does leave me slightly suspicious of its true origin. Either way it was tasty and the sauce with it was excellent.
1. Cassoulet - Beans and meat in a stew was fabulous, highly recommended!!
2. Trout with Pecans and green beans was good.
2. Goat cheese stuffed tomatoes was, with balsamic vinaigrette was amazing, also highly recommended.
3. Lamb chops with Mac n' cheese, lamb was slightly undercooked and Mac n' cheese pasta was also slightly too al dente. The lamb was very good and was just ever so slightly too rare. Same with the Mac n' cheese, the pasta was just a hair too al dente.
3. Beef tenderloin with wine sauce and sweet potatoes. This was an unbelievable piece of beef, just ridiculously tender, with an amazing wine sauce. The whipped sweet potatoes were okay, but not the accompaniment I would have chosen with the beef. I would have preferred a scalloped potato or pomes frites personally.
4. Desert - Crème Broulee, was good although custard was a bit thin with the emphasis on the crust.
4. Desert - Grand Marnier Soufflé' was amazing, it was all I could do not to lick the ramekin it was served in.
Service was amazing; the sommelier was very patient helping us to choose the correct wine to go with our meal.
Very highly recommended.
Thanks to all on here who recommended it.
Ratcliffe On The Green
425 South Tyron St., Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28202