I have booked a somewhat last minute (June 21) smallish wedding (50-65 people) and am in need of a wedding cake. This is actually one of the most, if not the most, important parts of the wedding to me. I'm fairly well versed in the bakeries in the area but am curious if anyone has purchased or eaten a wedding cake recently that can comment on those bakeries on my running list (see below), as well as others I might have forgotten. I'm particularly interested in bakeries able to make clean designs/lines but buttercream (American, Swiss, Italian, or French) as opposed to fondant. I'd love to know your thoughts as the clock is ticking!
1. Cake Art Studio, Paoli--I really don't know much about them but was impressed with their designs/style
2. Ciao Bella Cakes, Hatboro--I really don't know much about them but was impressed by their designs/style.
3. Van Earl’s, Langhorne--I really don't know much about them but was impressed by their designs/style.
4. Velvet Sky, Jenkintown--I had their cupcakes in 2006 or 2007 and thought they were good but not great. However, I know they've recently changed owners.
5. Cupcake Wonderland/Cake Life Bakeshop, Frankford—I am somewhat unclear if they have retail shop or just operate under special order. They won some sort of Food Network contest, which I don't really care about. I'm interested in them for cakes not cupcakes.
6. Bredenbeck's--I do love Bredenbeck's and even did a tasting here for my sister's wedding cake, over 9 years ago. I think they have significantly increased their decorating capabilities since them, but I'm not in love with their buttercream.