Seven hounds met at the original but very nicely remodeled Vung Tau for yet another chowdown. We ordered 8 dishes, listed below. I'll let others chime in before I post my review, but I thought everything was good to excellent, except for one miss. I think the service is indeed greatly improved since before the remodel. Plus the dirty 70s diner look is completely gone; it really does look as nice as the photos on their website(www.vungtaurestaurant.com).
What we had:
08. Hû Tieu (Noodle Soup) Bà Nam Sadéc - Jumbo prawns, crab & lean pork loin $7.50 - served with a shrimp fritter
15. Cháo Cá Giò Heo - Rice porridge soup w/ pork hock & fish $7.50
72. GÕi Cá SÓng - Lime cured red snapper mixed w/ banana blossom, celery & onions $11.95
33. Bánh HÕi Chåo Tôm - Steamed rice vermicelli w/ ground prawns skewered on sugar cane sticks & grilled. Served w/ mixed vegetables. $11.95
107. Cua Rang Me - Crab wok tossed w/ tamarind, garlic & onions. $23.95
37. Bánh Dap (Tôm, Heo, Bò) - Rice flour rolled filled w/ grilled pork, beef or Jumbo prawns. Served w/ mixed vegetables $10.50
That's what it's called and described on the menu. But what we ate was a dish with 2 components: the rice flour "crepes" with a thin filling of sesame rice crackers; and since we chose beef, piled on top were grilled beef rolls (slices of beef round, wrapped around julienned onions and grilled, which is #106 on the menu).
84. Suon Rim Man - Short ribs caramelized w/ garlic, fish sauce & black pepper served in an earth pot $9.50
(actually it was served on a nice white plate, not a clay pot
117. Muc Rang MuÓi - Calamari breaded w/ rice flour & wok tossed w/ garlic, salt & onions $10.50 (similar to "Salt and Pepper Squid" and it was pieces from calamari steaks, not rings)
Hopefully Carb Lover will post the photos soon.
I am soooo glad I got to meet new hounds and see familiar faces. Plus the donuts Nathan and Carb Lover offered afterwards were a heavenly treat! The food was great but the company even nicer!