I'm visiting Philadelphia for about 5 days in March. It'll be my first time there and I'm staying near Locust/Broad. I would like suggestions that are either quite close to there or easily (less than 30 mins) accessible by transit. Am interested in a few things:
1. Scrapple or variations thereof--best places?
2. Cheesesteak--best places?
3. Excellent brunch--neighbourhood joints, no greasy spoons.
4. Mid-priced dinner restaurants--entrees from $15-$29. Will likely be dining with a celiac so would prefer to avoid places that serve mostly pasta & other wheat flour-based things although generally there are a couple of items on any restaurant menu that work. Also like good dessert--homemade, a bit inventive. Prefer relatively casual (nice sweater/jeans) as I won't be packing lots of dressy things.
5. Read somewhere about a prix fixe lunch at Le Bec Fin? Do they still do that? If so, which days of the week and how much does it cost? Are there other upscale places that are open for weekday lunches that you would recommend? Would prefer to contain eating costs, by having lunch rather than dinner if going to fancy places.
6. Anything else unique to Philadelphia that you feel I absolutely should try.