Another idylic 4 days in SF, the city that we love more than any other. Except for one glaring example, the restaurants in our old haunt put those in Boston to shame.
1) Yuet Lee- better tahn ever. Perfectly cooked clams in Black bean sauce, crab truly wonderful, and the best beef and cilantro Jook I have had in ages.
2) Limon- Outlandish cerviche and multiple mojitos. So refreshing after trampling through the Folsom St. event.
3) Thorough-bread bakery- best baguette and chocolate bread we have had, and preferred the sourdough to Acme.
4) Plouf- excellent mussels in a nice atmosphere. Some of the other dishes- eh
5) Hog zIsland Oyster- always wonderful. 3 dozen for two of us. So great with a bracing Sancerre, and the day so incredibly warm for SF.
6) Zuni Cafe- wondrous duck confit, and truly fresh salad. Hanger steak perfectly cooked and flavorful.
7) La Folie- Awful, awful, awful. An ebarassment to a city full of food excellence. Sauces had a greasy film. Crab with curry panna cotta tasted like raw curry powder jello, and overwhelmed the less than fresh crab. Rabbit dry as dust. The worst? A baked Alaska that was insipid. Dreadful. Noticed many of the plates barely touched, but said nothing. We should have commented, but this was a restaurant that I have wanted to visit since my days as a poverty stricken fellow at UCSF.
8) Shwarma at a restaurant on Polk near Swan Oyster- ever so good. Lamb simply delicious, and some of the sweetest people who helped us fine our way back to Market st.
Cannot wait to come back, or even better, to move back. You all are so lucky to have so many riches. But what happened to La Folie??
1658 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
2316 Polk St., San Francisco, CA 94109
40 Belden Place, San Francisco, CA 94104
524 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Updated 2 days ago | 19
Updated 13 hours ago | 138
Updated 11 days ago | 67
Updated 3 days ago | 17
Updated 14 hours ago | 32