In about a month's time my partner and I are spending 2 weeks in Kyoto (my first time, she's been there before). We love food, with a particular fondness for Japanese cuisine, so dining will be a central part of our holiday.
Here's what we've got planned so far;
[lunch] Sushi Ina
[lunch] Maguro Koya (we're spending 1 day in Nara)
[lunch] Yoshimura Soba
[lunch] Kani Doraku (we're spending 1 day in Osaka)
[lunch] Omi Steakhouse
[lunch] Hafuu Beef
[lunch] Tempura Yoshikawa
[lunch] Omen Noodles
[dinner] Kappo Sou
[dinner] Honke Daiichiasahi
[dinner] Zezekan Pocchiri
[dinner] Hirokawa Unagi
[dinner] Dotonbori street food
[dinner] Sushi Iwa
[dinner] A Womb
Apologies for just providing the name, please let me know if a more thorough description is expected/proper.
This is our list of back-up/spare restaurants; Ajiro, Fukei kara-age, Kinana (Icecream), Manzara (Machiya Izakaya), Marugame (Udon), Miyomoto Sushi, OKU (desserts), Owariya (Soba), Tsujiri Honten Dessert, Kitcho, another Kasekai.
If you don't mind, here are my questions;
1. In general I've booked the more expensive restaurants at lunch, as it's cheaper. How are the lunch meals compared to the dinner meals? Are they cheaper because less effort or food goes into it, or is it "just as good as dinner" (and cheaper for some other reason, ie demand/culture).
2. We don't, yet, have a Kasekai meal planned. We're staying at a hotel which doesn't serve Kasekai. Picking a Kasekai restaurant has been the hardest decision, partly because I'm trying (but failing) to justify the expense of Kitcho. Any suggestions re Kasekai?
3. Tofu. Can someone recommend a decent tofu restaurant or 3?
4. A lot of the places we've booked are asking us, today, what we'd like to order. Is this "normal"? Is saying "I've no idea, can I please order on the day" an acceptable response?
5. Breakfast. I want to minimise hotel breakfasts. What do locals on the run eat?
6. What are the customs regarding photographing food and/or menus? Here in Aus I'd happily do it (not that I do, mind you), but I'm not sure what the custom is in Japan. My current plan is to simply ask. But what about high-end places like Kitcho? Should I simply leave my camera at the hotel?
Thanks. Any other comments/suggestions are of course welcome.
Updated 3 months ago | 4
Updated 5 days ago | 6
Updated 4 months ago | 5
Updated 3 months ago | 42
Updated 3 months ago | 6