Jumping off of a separate thread on another region's board, thought it might be fun to chronicle the top 10 tastes you experienced in 2009 within our region. I'll get the party started.
In no particular order:
1) Pad kra pow beef, fried tofu w/peanut sauce, and tom ka gai - Thai Siam, Arrington, VA
2) The squash casserole, stewed okra&tomatoes, mustard greens, and perfect fried chicken at Jones Kitchen, Jesup, GA.
3) Pimento cheese panini - Parker & Otis, Durham, NC.
4) Spring rabbit confit with amontillado sherry & country mustard jus with goat cheese ricotta gnocchi, pancetta, escarole, turnips and sugar snap peas - Magnolia Grill, Durham, NC.
5) Deviled crab cake at Tomato Shed Cafe - Johns Island, SC
6) The tagatelli bolognese at Trattoria Lucca, Charleston, SC.
7) Maple view dairy buttermilk vanilla bean pie with flat river farm strawberries, berry sauce, and whipped cream - Magnolia Grill, Durham, NC.
8) Aunt Matte's Sunday platter spread (18-hour brisket, fried pork chop, collards, squash casserole, mashed potatoes) at Yancey House Restaurant, Yanceyville, NC.
9) Hickory-smoked chopped pork BBQ sandwich with brunswick stew, slaw, and hushpuppies - Allen&Son, Chapel Hill, NC.
10) Coarse chopped pork, mix of outside brown and inside white, Lexington #1, Lexington, NC.