Last night my family and some friends of ours had dinner at Thai Aree. It is always so enjoyable to eat there; you feel like you're eating at a friends home. Some of the people who attended the chowhound dinner there last month will be happy to know that Eddie happily made some of the off menu items for us without any advance notice.
Everything was great, as usual. The kids happily devoured the chicken and pork satay, spring rolls, and pad thai. The adults had
1. Larp, (with that great toasted rice)
2. Nue Num Tok (the grilled beef in this salad was so good, it was my wife's favorite dish - and she not a big beef eater)
3. Som Tum (very good Papaya salad)
4. Tiger Eye (off menu grilled beef with an awesome spicy/sour chili sauce - our female friends fave, who also is not a big meat eater)
5. Kee Mow (always one of our favorite Thai Aree dishes)
6. Sour Curry with shrimp and cauliflower (off menu - good but not as good as at the chowhound dinner. Eddie volunteered, without any comments from us, that that dish is better when made in a larger quantity for more people. He said that the flavors meld and become more complex when they make it in a bigger volume. It still tied for our female friends fave along with the tiger beef)
6. Penang Curry with peanuts (awesome. Eddie thought I didn't order enough noodle dishes, so he stir fried some wide rice noodles to go under this dish instead of rice. We all thought the rice worked better).
7. I wanted Ong Choi, which was an off menu water spinach dish. Eddie said he didn't have any, but he instead made Chinese broccoli in the same manner, lightly stir fried with soy and fish sauces, and tofu.
Another hit, we all loved it.
This feast for 9, along with many cans of soda for the kids, was $68.
A very disturbing note was the lack of patrons. Besides our group, from 7 to 10pm on a Saturday evening, there were only 5 other couples and three or four take out orders scattered through the evening. Other than our group at the chow dinner last month, it also did not seem very busy that evening. It is a real shame that this very special place is not busier.
Updated 7 days ago | 21
Updated 8 days ago | 37
Updated 4 days ago | 55
Updated 11 days ago | 43
Updated 1 day ago | 114