I need a recommendation. I need a very good / great sushi bar that's hopefully not too far away with great atmosphere for an occasion dinner near Silverlake / Downtown (hopefully)
Here's the rules:
I sit at the bar.
I respect the chef and would like him to respect me, he's a part of the meal so it's nice to have a rapport.
I want sushi, nothing fusion.
There's a little place in Kyoto above a train station, if I could be transported there...
Yes, Urasawa is good, but I can't afford it, there's no need to recommend it.
Here's the places I have ruled out:
1. Shibucho, I love Shige but the atmosphere is is a little tired. Still a great find and great wines but not quite right.
2. Sushi Gen, it's good, but I don't want to go to dinner at 5:30, it's always rushed and there's no rapport.
3. Sushi Go, it's not that good.
4. Sushi Zo, it's too far, and I have heard mixed reviews about the atmosphere.
5. Saito Sushi, not that great, bad attitude from Saito (not so far to me but I have seen it with others) and horrible decor.
6. Nobu, Matsuhisa, Wa, Roku, et al.
Is R23 still any good? I haven't been there since Nishimura left. The reviews are mixed.
Is there anywhere else downtown that would be good?
Maybe I would go to Gardena if there was something exceptional.
Thanks for any consideration, and yes, sushi snobs only should respond.