Summerthon is a little more than a week away. Have you committed?
Before getting too hyped, let me post one word of warning. Our date, 8/17/02 is also the date of the air and water show. I really do not see any reason to change the date. I believe all of the blue angels will be done by the time we chow. In fact I was originally thinking we meet around 4, but now we should move it back to, say 6 pm.
There is no set menu for this event, and serendipity will prevail as to what we actually eat. If you desire to have some say in the meal, bring a dish. If you want no chance of influencing the outcome, leave it to others. As I have committed to before, I will bring donuts from Dat and Q from Leons. Seth has offered to pick up other goods, and we know game will be in his trunk.
I remember in the planning for the original chowathon, Zim had compiled a great list of south-side eateries, but I could not find it. Beside what I am bringing and the game, here are my other humble suggestions as to what someone should bring. Please, however, post if you need ideas:
- jerk chicken from tropic island or another place
- one of those bean pies i think annieb mentioned
- some hatian
- smoked shrimps from calumet fisheries
i will try and coordinate paper goods. perhaps someone can stop by filberts and get a few cases of mixed pop to drink. what am i missing?
Wait, three final thoughts:
1) This not a "members only" event. Someone asked me if they could bring a friend. Not to insult the person who made that request, but I think it's a bit silly. We are not a club. If you know people who want to come, invite them along (they will, of course, be expected to pay their portion of the total food bill).
2) I am bringing my kids and I believe Zim is as well. While some people may not have kids, I'd like to emphasis the familyishness of this event.
3) We need to get some idea of the final number of attendees so we know how much food to get/money to spend. We want neither too much or god forbid, too little food.
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 17 days ago | 34
Updated 7 days ago | 120
Updated 7 days ago | 28
Updated 4 days ago | 31