General Discussion


sulphite allergy - asparagus and mushrooms


More from General Discussion

General Discussion Mushrooms

sulphite allergy - asparagus and mushrooms

ursy_ten | | Apr 8, 2011 06:04 AM

Hello friends,

My sweetie has a sulphite allergy/sensitivity, which means that he has to steer clear of mushrooms, onions and asparagus. He really misses asparagus (the canned kind) on toast and I'm wondering - could I get fresh asparagus and try to do something that would be as good as tinned asparagus on toast?

I guess my main questions are:

Would he be ok with fresh asparagus? I get the idea that the problem is mostly because it's tinned, where sulphites are concerned.

Could I make the fresh asparagus approximate tinned asparagus somehow? Which is probably a bit of a funny question on Chowhound, but the heart wants but the heart wants...maybe I could steam it into oblivion or something... do you think pickled asparagus might be ok?

Also, a friend suggested he might be able to eat organic mushrooms and that maybe I should try growing our own mushrooms - do you think this would make them sulphite safe?

I have googled it and googled it, but my search terms must be off - I can't find any info that would help me with this!

Many thanks in advance :)

Back to top