An early morning electrical fire in Merrick destroyed three businesses yesterday, Nassau County authorities said. The fire, likely caused by a faulty electrical cord and deemed accidental, tore through the Bagel Boss bagel shop, a Robecks smoothie franchise and Starfish restaurant, said Vincent McManus, division supervisor for the Nassau Fire Marshal's Office. A baker working at Bagel Boss at 2101 Merrick Rd. was in the kitchen when he smelled smoke coming from the dining area, McManus said. The baker tried to put out the fire with water before calling for help. The Merrick fire department received the alarm at 1:52 a.m. It took several hours for Merrick firefighters, with help from eight other departments, to bring it under control, McManus said.
just heard about this.