Bear with me...I see a lot of anniversary/out-of-town threads on this board, and this is sort of a combination of the two. My boyfriend and I will be celebrating our first year together in mid-October; I'm in Evanston but originally from NYC, while he's a definite out-of-towner (NYC as well). I haven't done enough exploring downtown yet, but the ideal dinner would involve:
- Great food, of course (he's willing to indulge my chowhounding enthusiasm, but is a steak/potatoes kind of guy and won't eat seafood)
- A little dressing up, but nothing too fancy -- enough to wear a little black dress, but no tie
- A well-priced wine/cocktail menu
- We'd like to get out for under $150/person before tax and tip, but a little under/over would be fine
- Some "scene" -- I know, I know, but we're essentially tourists and in our 20s...we usually prefer lively places.
- Here's another curveball: while I refuse to be deterred by a cab ride, we're probably going by el, so it would be great to find a place near a stop. We don't mind a short walk, but we don't have a car (and will be drinking anyway), so there's that.
Here are some restaurants that look like they may fit the bill:
- Hugo's Frog Bar: this looks like a happy marriage of my seafood obsession and his love for steak; any comments on the service? Also, I've experienced the "45-minute wait even though you have a reservation" game at Gibson's -- does this happen here?
- Lux Bar (is this too casual?)
- Topolobampo or Frontera Grill (we both love Latin cuisine)
- Tavern on Rush -- though even I am cringing a bit...
Thank you very, very much in advance!
Updated 1 year ago | 19
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 2 years ago | 1
Updated 1 month ago | 19
Updated 3 months ago | 3