Here is my list of restaurants that are: (1) Italian; (2) BYOB and (3) South of South. This last criterion is a bit of a default setting, because I am only vaguely aware of the fact that there are Italian restaurants North of South. I do welcome suggestions though. Also, if some of you think a place has improved lately or I might have been there on an off-night, please let me know. And of course, I would love to hear about places that are not on this list. Restaurants are in descending order of preference, and those below the line are the ones that I am not in a hurry to go back to.
(1) L'Angolo, Broad and Porter. Great all around.
(2) Lauletta's Grill, 11th and Morris. Great orecchiette, pork and veal.
(3) Butcher's Cafe, 9th and Christian, especially the octopus appetizer and the veal dishes.
(4) Cucina Forte, 8th and Catharine, especially the gnocchi.
(5) Lucca, 13th and Passyunk. Good, less expensive than some of the others.
(6) Gnocchi, Passyunk and South. This one is helped by the ambience, noisy but fun. On the menu I tend to stick to pasta (good, not exceptional), the rest is not remarkable.
THE LINE IS HERE:---------------------------------
(7) Tre Scallini, 11th and Passyunk. Been there twice: Good (not great) once, disappointing once. In particular, this special: tagliatelle that tasted like the dried grocery store kind, with a boar's meat stew - stringy meat, which is fine for game except there was none of the gamey flavor. Recent feedback would be appreciated.
(8) Scannicchio's, Broad and Porter. Great appetizers (e.g. stuffed artichoke), but the entrees could use improvement. The veal saltimbocca's flavors were lost in a thick brown sauce, stuffed calamari were so-so, the bracciole stuffing was sort of bland.
(9) Mr. Martino's, 12th and Passyunk. Bland pasta, perhaps I had heard too much hype. I was only there once and it was over a year ago though, so recent feedback would be welcome.
Updated 1 year ago | 22
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 40
Updated 1 month ago | 4