I'll be in NYC for a conference on a Sunday and Monday night and would like to add some enjoyable dining into an otherwise slightly boring trip. From reading a few threads, I'm operating on these assumptions:
1. Solo dining is NYC is absolutely acceptable and there are very few places it's discouraged (phew!)
2. Financial District has less than stellar food reputation and a bit of an obnoxious crowd reputation
Given that, here's what I know I'm looking for:
- Something in the Financial District (where I'm staying and the conference is), but I'm happy to walk (maybe 20-30 minutes?) especially for something worth it. I want to avoid distance that necessitates a cab or public transportation
- Recommendations for after-conference drink (outdoor/fun view a plus, I guess) and fun, good food dinners - can be the same place for drink and dinner or two different -- I have two nights.
- Happy to spend up to $100 on a dinner with drinks - hoping not to go too much over that but I always can justify ignoring my budget for something worthwhile.
- Although it sounds like having a table for one is acceptable, I'd probably be much more comfortable dining at a bar.
- Would like a not-too-serious/stuffy atmosphere with good energy without crossing into obnoxious, frat-boy world.
- I think I'll use food cart recommendations from here for my hour lunches, unless there is a can't miss recommendation.
- Probably would prefer a kind of New American or fusion menu, but I'm really open to anything.
- Considering North End Grill, but not much else has jumped out at me.
- I really appreciate good food and a good dining experience.
So, I'm not a New Yorker, but on recent visits when we've stayed in Hell's Kitchen, I've had a great time at Casellula and Danji and could easily imagine being happy dining solo at either of those bars... I'm just not a frequent solo diner and I'm absolutely unfamiliar with the Financial District.
So many parameters! I'd love any and all recommendations that fit them or a polite nudge in the right direction if nothing quite fits what I'm looking for.