Definltely one of the most popular dining spot in Singpore at the moment - Jason Atherton's Pollen at Singapore spectacular Gardens by the Bay. The restaurant is located in the giganticFlower Dome, where it's spring all year round, with the temperature kept at a steady 22 deg C, a nice respite from the hellish 35 deg C typical Singapore heat outside.
Pollen serves Mediterranean-inspired Mod-Brit cuisine. Last weekend when we were there, we opted for the tasting menu which consisted of:
- Slow-cooked egg, “English Breakfast” - this was beautiful, served in a perfect brown eggshell, nestled in a hay-filled square box. It was scrambled eggs atop an intensely-flavored tomato concasse, topped withslow-cooked egg-white sprinkled with crisp bacon bits;
- Crab cocktail, avocado, beetroot sorbet, caviar on toast - nothing groundbreaking, but tasty.
- Scallop carpaccio, cucumber, apple & horseradish snow - nice, we actually opted for this instead of the fallow deer tartare which didn't soundtoo apealing to us.
- Roasted seabass, salt-baked celeriac, Jerusalem artichoke, "chicken vinaigrette" - too salty, the fish was overcooked. Didn't like it.
- Rangers Valley 300-day tenderloin, oxtail, charred eggplant, smoked potatoes - the tenderloin had a fantastic texture, oxtail was a biut overcooked. Didn't like vegie accompaniments.
- Guava sorbet palate cleanser before the desserts ...
- Frozen blackberries, goat cheese sorbet, rhubarb consomme, mint oil - fantastic sorbet.
- Coffee and cognac, honey truffle cream, hazelnut crocante - nice, but both desserts were nowhere near the ones I had at Atherton's London flagship, Pollen Street Social in Mayfair (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/811458).
Very nice setting, pity about the food. Thanks to my friend who made the 1-month advance booking needed for a Saturday evening dinner. The views of the 150-feet tall gigantic, illuminated "super-trees" at the futuristic Gardens by the Bay - you can walk on the elevated "skywalk" between the trees after dinner - was well worth it.
Flower Dome, Gardens By The Bay
18 Marina Gardens Drive #01-09
Tel: +65-6604 9988