Tourists tend to flock to Newton Food Centre to sample barbecued seafood and other local delicacies.
What about local Singaporeans? Well, my family still go to Newton Food Centre (like we've done for decades) for the Teochew duck koay teow, koay chiap, popiah and Chinese satays. What we had yesterday evening from perhaps the only two stalls we'd always gone back to:
Stall #01-13 Kwee Heng
- Duck koay teow (flat rice noodles) soup
- Platter of braised duck, tofu and eggs
- Wanton noodles (for a stall selling mainly Teochew noodles, they turned out a decent plate of Cantonese-style wanton noodles, but the wanton dumplings were a bit too hard.
Stall #01-12 Bee Heng
- Chinese-style chicken satay, served with (IMO) the best peanut sauce in town :-)
- Hokkien-style popiah, filled with shredded jicama, pork, tofu, shrimp and crispy bits of garlic - they'd been selling these delicious freshly-made spring rolls since 1930 - absolutely yummy!
Good to know that some things never change :-)
Newton Food Centre (纽顿熟食中心)
500 Clemenceau Ave
Updated 1 year ago | 7
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 11 months ago | 18
Updated 1 year ago | 11
Updated 1 year ago | 8