When chef Tamaru was manning the kitchen, Simple Bistro was my mid-town go to place for good, value for money and consistently reliable French bistro fare. With Chef T gone to the Left Bank on Avenue Road, I haven't been back to Simple for quite a long while!
I was looking for a 'non-Winterlicious' place to eat tonight, when I decided to give my old favorite a try. I was glad I did! The food was still 'simple', un-pretentious and tasty. And at $40 for a three course prix-fixe, still pretty good value for money.
Dishes chosen included:
- A multi-dimensional beet salad
- Salt cod brandade, micro-greens, horseradish Aioli
- Duck duo - Seared duck breast, truffled duck liver Boudin, braised
red cabbage, herbed Parissiene gnocchi, Port wine jus.
- Lemon curd, butter shortcake crust, blueberry compote, cream
- Made to order, Creme patissieri fried mini doughnut beignets with Bailey's hot chocolate sauce and whipped cream.
Nice plate presentation, gorgeous tasting salad dressing, perfectly cooked duck breast, light fluffy liver sausage and 'to die for' Doughnut desserts! The latter - OMG awesome and good!! Amazing textural and temperature interplay!
Slightly bland Brandade......?? That's it?! Just a simple mishap? Wow!!
And the service, professional and ultra-friendly.
Glad I don't have to drive all the way downtown for good French Bistro food!! Sigh!!!