Well, after an enjoyable time in Montana, I am back to the heat wave in the midwest. The warm days and very cool evenings were a joy!
Spent most of my time in Whitefish due to business and was tied down for meals for the most part.
1. Grouse Mountain Lodge - great breakfasts at the restaurant; frsh fruit, bacon and largest breakfast sausage I have ever seen. Always ate overlooking the golf course even if it was on the hot or cold side.
2. Whitefish Lake golf course (across the street from lodge) - Inexpensive and tasty treats from the BBQ on special nights. Hit one of the nights they had music and it was hopping. Try to get there early to get an outdoor seat and stay/linger for the music.
3. Amazing Crepes - I am a crepe junkie mostly because I can't get a good one where I live. Had regular and buckwheat. Had savory and sweet. It's all good. Capuccino and lattes are fabulous too. A little bit of France in this gem.
4. Jersey Boys Pizza - One night we ordered in and the pizza was great. Not the cheapest, but a solid pie. Also, their heated sandwiches are great too. On the day we went to Glaceir for the day, we took two cold sandwiches and a salad from there. We ordered them the night before and packed them. Others were drooling and wished they had done the same.
5. Second Street Pizza - Slices to go and lemonade are fabulous. Plain cheese is what we liked. SUper thin and crispy crust.
6. Buffalo Cafe - Since Loula's had a C+ (I think) inspection rating in the local paper the day before, the group decided to go to BC for breakfast. Had huckleberry pancakes and one of their bakes. Great coffee, solid breakfast. We went early, by 7:45am there was a wait.
7. Red Caboose - Their frozen yogurt is outstanding; had it several times. Red Velvet and huckleberry were our faves.
8. Sweet Peaks Ice Cream - Unique flavours, had many. Our fave: lemon and black sesame seed. High quality and not your average ice cream flavours.
9. Tuesday night Farmer's Market - A feast for the eyes, ears and taste buds! Went twice. Live music, fresh baked goods - great large cookies, fresh fruit, slushies, food booths. They had an amazing food truck where I had a yummy yak burrito one night and fish sandwich another night. Shared an amazing pulled pork sandwich, roasted corn on the cob dunked in butter, and stromboli. Picked up lots of fresh fruit for our driving days and packed in our cooler. Really, for something unique, eat and shop or people watch. Not to be missed!
10. Markus (sp?) Grocers: Wow; on one of our driving days, we loaded a cooler with a roasted chicken, some Applegate prosciutto, great genoa salami, buffalo mozzarella and had some bread from the farmer's market the night before. Packed a bottle of wine bought there and also some marinated olives. This too is a little gem. Great wine selection and bought some to take home too. Also picked up goods for our day drive around the loop so we could eat in the car.
Kalispell - Instead of staying there for supper, we actually drove into the Tues night market in Whitefish. However, had a superb meal at Scottibelli's. I am an Italian food snob and my Linguine alle vongole would rival any great restaurant. No clammy smell, just sea smell and taste. Loved the wine and garlic flavour. DH had lasagna and it was quite good, but a little small. Sauce was delish; homemade bread served too. Salad was very large; we shared. Highly recommended for Italian. Tables can be hard to get on the weekend.
Park Cafe in St. Mary: Had several kinds of amazing pie here. Wait was veeerrryyyy long to get it, but worth it. DH had bison steak and I had a bison burger and they were outstanding; as were the sweet potato fries. We didn't end up going to Two Sisters in Babb because we bought extra pie for breakfast - I know, crazy!
We really enjoyed the scenery and people in Montana, even though I was working most of the times. The food didn't disappoint either. Had some great meals, great simple food. Thanks everyone for the recs.
300 2nd St E Ste A, Whitefish, MT 59937
Second Street Pizza
306 2nd St E, Whitefish, MT 59937
Two Sisters Cafe
3608 US Highway 89 W, Browning, MT 59417
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 12 days ago | 34
Updated 11 hours ago | 30