Wife and I will be visiting San Francisco and Napa in early August for a wedding. We are from New York but have visited both areas five years ago. Will be staying in Nob Hill and Yountville respectively but will only have a car for the Napa portion of the trip. Interested in hearing comments from fellow hounds regarding our preliminary itinerary. Thanks in advance for your comments and look forward to reporting back.
- Arrive ~ 10:30 AM, check in at hotel and get settled.
Lunch - Cotogna or Pizzeria Delphina
- Preferences between these two popular casual Italian spots? Currently leaning towards Cotogna as a) they take reservations and b) we will order more than just pizza at either restaurant and Tusk's pastas sound very good.
Dinner - Bar Tartine
- Looking for another mid-priced casual restaurant serving excellent food. People's opinions re this restaurant seem varied but many people I trust seem enthusiastic about the ingredient quality and modern approach of Eastern European cuisine.
Lunch - Roli Roti and/or 4505 Meats
- Plan on arriving early to the Ferry Terminal building and grabbing a porchetta sandwich and a burger from both vendors.
Dinner - Saison
- Our only splurge for the trip. Have an 8:45 reservation and plan on ordering the extended Discovery menu. Question for those have been, does anyone know if they would accommodate splitting one of the premium pairings?
Lunch - Kin Khao/Turtle Tower/Tadich/Chez Panisse?
- Unsure where to go for our final meal before heading up to Napa. Admittedly pretty diverse choices, I'm leaning towards the cafe at Chez Panisse since we will have a car. Open to hear other suggestions but visited Swan's and Zuni on our previous trip.
For breakfast we planned on visiting as many of the following bakeries: Tartine Bakery, Craftmans & Wolves, b.Patisserie, Knead Patisserie and Boulette's Larder for a canalé. I know many of the popular items tend to sell out early but am interested in hearing people's suggestions.
Coffee includes: Blue Bottle, Ritual, Four Barrel, Philz, Sightglass. Suggestions appreciated.
We also like ice cream and plan on trying both Humphrey Slocombe and Bi-Rite.
Friday & Saturday plan on being tied up with the wedding. Will be staying at a B&B but might try to get to Oxbow for an espresso at Ritual or some oyster at Hog Island as a snack.
Lunch - Ad Hoc Addendum
Fried chicken lunches.
Dinner - Bouchon/Bottega/Mustards?
- Suggestions for a casual dinner for Sunday night. Have been to both Bouchon and Bottega and enjoyed each but open for other suggestions.
- Fly out of San Francisco on Monday afternoon.