Ten hungry hounds met for lunch today at Cao Nguyen in East San Jose (see address below). This was a first visit for the group, and only a couple of us had eaten here before. Enjoyable time as usual. I've listed dishes and included photos below and hope that my fellow hounds will elaborate.
Items ordered (I included some Viet names in parentheses):
1. Rice flour "cupcakes" with coconut milk and shrimp (banh khot)
2. Lime-marinated beef salad (goi bo tai chanh)
3. Deep-fried pork intestines
4. Grilled quail
5. Beef with vinegar "fondue"
6. Sweet and sour soup with catfish (canh chua...)
7. Pork braised in claypot (thit heo kho)
8. Salt and pepper squid
9. Water spinach sauteed with garlic (rau muong xao)
10. Grilled marinated pork (thit nuong)
11. West Lake soup with beef
Total cost per person including some drinks to go around plus tax and tip was $17.
Photos of our lunch can be viewed here:
2549 S. King Rd.
San Jose 95122
Other reports on Cao Nguyen:
If anyone is interested in getting an email invite for our weekday lunch forays, please email me at carbloverhoundatyahoodotcom