After reading some unflattering recent reviews on this board about Haru Ulala, I decided to check and see if the quality went down. As far as their specialty items and the items I usually get, it hasn't changed much.
Slow cooked stewed items are Haru Ulala's specialty.
Here's the secret treasure map from their extensive menu. Getting at least #1-4 is a must.
1) Buta Kakuni - Slow cooked pork belly in a sweet soy and ginger. Better flavor than Izayoi which is prepared well but doesn't have enough sweetness and ginger flavor.
2) Buri Daikon - Stewed Yellowtail with a big chunk of daikon that is so soft can be cut with your chopstick.
3) Short Rib Daikon - Stewed Short Rib so tender and melts in your mouth.
4) Fried Camembert Cheese - It's like a little wedge of Brie breaded in Panko and served with tonkatsu sauce.
5) Grilled Oysters and/or Fried Oysters
6) Kurobuta Sausage - Delicious Black Pork sausage that looks like Hilshire Farms Lil' Smokies.
7) Soba Salad - Green tea noodles with mixed greens in a ponzu dressing.
8) Ochazuke - Almost like rice porridge in a fish broth with toasted nori and your choice of ume plum, salmon, or grilled mentaiko (spicy cod roe). Make sure you add the wasabi and mix it into the broth giving it a wonderful flavor.
9) Tsukune - Chicken meatball crispy on the outside tender on the inside with a delicious sauce.
10) Conch Sashimi - If you like Mirugai or Aoyagi, then conch is great as sashimi and this is the only place to get it. If you don't like chewy clams, then it's not for you.
11) Grilled Potato/Butter - Better than any baked potato I've ever had. Grilled then slit in the middle with a pat of butter and salted with green seaweed flakes.
Just my 2 cents. From the previous reviewer I don't like that spicy tuna tempura item either.