My daughter and I will be in Paris August 27- September 3. We are staying in an apartment on rue Dauphine in the 6th. We need recommendations of boulangeries, patesseries, bakeries, frommageries etc in that area since we want to picnic and eat in sometimes. Do you have any great chocolate places to recommend? We like Laudrees for pastries but would appreciate other recommendations.
We have a reservation for Spring one night. That should be special. We need your help with other reservations:
1) Septime- I checked their website and they are only taking reservations through August 1. Will they be closed in August? Someone had on CH that the reservations are normally 21 days out. We were thinking of a three course lunch. Do you recommend lunch or dinner? Is it the same menu?
2) What about Le Bistro Paul Bert? Is it still great? Do we need a reservation? If so, how much in advance should we get the reservation? Is the other Bistro 6 the same type of food, etc.
3) I also read in Bon Appetit about Chez George where Julia Childs ate. Is it overrated or a great old time Bistro?
4) We ate at the Yellow Taxi on Oberkampf the last time we were in Paris. Ober Sale on the same street also sounds interesting. Would you recommend either of them? Do we need reservations?
5) And then what everyone is talking about on the boards, Frenchies, Frenchies Bar, Le Comptoir du Relais, and Chateaubriand. I just can't decide whether to take a chance and go there. I can't get a reservation at Frenchies so we would have to stand in line for the bar.
6) Other places I am considering are Josephine Chez DuMont, Kitchen Galleries, and Le Dauphin. Someone on the boards suggested Cafe Constant. Is it an old time bistro?
As you can see, Spring and Septime are more modern type French restaurants. We were thinking of Chez George or La Bistro Paul Bert for the more traditional cusine. We like high and low but I have decided Guy Savoy is too expensive for this trip even though it was a lovely experience many years ago.
Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Also if you know if any of these restaurants will be closed when we are there would be helpful. Someone on CH had said Ami Jean will be closed in August.