We just returned from from a week-long vacation, and I just wanted to thank you all for the guidance! I spent time lurking on the board and was not disappointed with the suggestions:
- Zaytinya was simply fantastic. I'm still dreaming of the grape leaves, as well as lamb in phyllo, one of the specials that day. The wine list was also a pleasant surprise as it's unusual to see one focused outside of Europe or the U.S.
- Co Co. Sala was that evening's stop for dessert, and while I read mixed reviews on the food, the dessert did not disappoint. The Chocolate Onyx was intensely chocolate, but not overly so, and the combination of mousse, sorbet, and salted caramel provided enough variety to avoid "overdose."
- Jaleo was great fun, especially since we were able to meet friends and dined as a larger group. Several dishes - shrimp with oil and garlic, Iberico ham on bread with fresh tomatoes - tasted exactly like Spain, but other items like sausage had a citrus note that was unusual, but delicious.
- Johnny's Half Shell was nice - seafood simply prepared with a Southern touch. Unfortunately, good seafood is hard to come by here in the Midwest, so I always try to take advantage of the opportunity when on either coast. And their pecan pie - Best. Ever. Not cloying sweet, and loaded with pecans
- Bistro Bis was delicious, and I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned more often. It happened to be in our hotel, which made wandering home after a good dinner particularly easy. We had both a lunch and dinner there, and each were quite nice, although I think I preferred the lighter touch on the sauces at lunchtime (but enjoyed the wine-by-the-glass selection at dinner. Several times. )
- Pitango Gelato was great, and bonus points for that thick drinking chocolate, which isn't often found outside of Europe. Yum. the gelato was good, too.
Was sorry to not be able to get a reservation at Rasika, and while hubby swore by his crab cake at The Wharf in Alexandria, I thought mine was a little uncooked in the middle - if that's possible.
Thanks again for the recommendations!
480 7th St. NW, Washington, DC 20004
15 E Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001
Johnny's Half Shell
400 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
Co Co Sala
929 F street NW, Washington, DC 20004
701 9th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
802 S Broadway, Baltimore, MD
Updated 13 hours ago | 26
Updated 13 days ago | 43
Updated 1 day ago | 13
Updated 15 hours ago | 19
Updated 3 days ago | 89