I'm going to be moving from Austin to Philadelphia in a few weeks' time, and I'd hate to waste a perfectly good road trip! I'd like to get a few suggestions for worthwhile places to stop and eat along the way. Here are a few guidelines I'm working with:
1. Keep it cheap. With my car loaded up to the gills and a lot of miles to cover, I won't be in the mood to hunt around in my suitcase to get myself spruced up to pay $30 for a dish. Road food is supposed to be inexpensive, and that will work nicely with the condition I'll be in after spending hours at a time in the car.
2. I would prefer a relatively direct route, but don't mind going a *few* miles out of my way for really good food. Here's the basic route I've sketched out:
* I-35 to Dallas
* I-30 to Texarkana
* I-40 all the way out to Asheville, TN
* I-81 to Bristol, VA
* I-95 to Philadelphia
3. Don't worry about Philadelphia. I already know Philly well.
4. I loathe deep-fried anything. I don't care how yummy it is; I'm not going to eat it.
5. I am only a mild fan of Southern-style barbecue (pulled pork, ribs, etc.). I know that a long stretch of my route is dominated by this kind of barbecue and the aforementioned deep-fried stuff, so I'm especially keen to hear about good alternatives.
Recommendors, start your engines!