This came up in another thread, and another hound used my recipe and loved it.
Short story this recipe, which I developed myself, results in the best cocktail cherry I have ever had by a very long stretch, including Luxardo and Fabbri brands... It results in a firm, sweet, slightly spicy cherry that stands up to just about any cocktail.
Cocktail Cherry Recipe:
- Blanch unpitted cherries (I use them with the pit in) in very Salty boiling water for 4 minutes (this keeps them firm)
- Rinse and soak for a few minutes in cool water to get rid of salt
- Place cherries in large jar
Add healthy amounts of the following: star anise, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, allspice, anise seed, fennel seed
- Make some REALLY concentrated red hibiscus tea (this is to help the cherries keep their color) and add 1/2 cup to the bottle
- If you can find some good cherry juice, or are crazy enough to make some fresh yourself, add a cup to the jar
- Fill the rest of the jar with vodka or cheap brandy
- Add sugar to taste
- Wait at least a month