If this has already been done, I apologize. First of all, I think that Philadelphia and the region is a great place for bars with excellent and interesting food. I was wondering about people's thoughts on their favorite gastropubs/pubs in the Philly region. Based on my limited experience here is my list:
1. Standard Tap: great menu, love the oysters, and excellent local beer selection
2. N. Third: Love the wings, good variety of beer including draft and in bottles, had Ommegang Saison and a bottle of St Bernardus 12%. Mac and cheese is also good.
3. Tria: (only been to 18th Street location): Small but good beer selection, great wine selection, interesting and delicious food choices, small venue.
4. South Philly Tap Room: Good beer selection, excellent Fried Chicken, Roast Pork Sandwich, and Wild Boar Tacos.
4. Monk's Cafe: Amazing beer selection, food can be excellent, but sometimes appears to be hit or miss. Love mussels (haven't had them for a long time, though). Always seem to be so crowded.
5. McGillian's Olde Ale House: Decent Beer Selection, Decent Food, Great Prices, Free Soup. Great place to warm up on a cold day or night.
6. Stephanie's, Doylestown: Great beer selection, knowledgeable and friendly bartenders, very good grub.
7. Four Dogs: West Chester area: Decent beer choices, very good food, little expensive. Neat venue.
Other bars I have been to in Philly that didn't make the list:
Eulogy: great bar but every time I went it was so crowded I could barely breath. I also went to a sister place but forget the name. It is not far from Eulogy. Seemed pretty cool.
Grey Lodge Pub: Great beer selection, so so food, drove quite a distance out of the way to go here and I was a little disappointed.
McGlinchey's: good cheap dive bar
Khyber: Only been once for a couple of drinks in the afternoon, but I would love to return, good bartender and beer selection.
There is also a bar below South Street on maybe fourth that has a nice selection. About 2 or 3 blocks below South Street, forget the name.
These are the places that come to mind right now. Let me know what you think. On a side note, I did not include Victory because it is a brewery, but their beer is amazing and the food is decent.