I have a friend coming in from New York to visit Chicago for the first time this weekend. I want to make the most of his trip here because we're celebrating his birthday, but I'm horribly indecisive and of course, want him to try EVERYTHING. Impossible. So I beseech all you fantastic folk out there to help narrow things down. He gets in at 3 on Friday and we'll be staying at the Hotel Monaco (Wabash and Wacker) but I don't mind driving around. Here's kind of a vague idea I have for the weekend.
- Early cocktails at C-View or Cityscape (something with a good view I thought would be a nice first glimpse of the city....any other good places for that at that time?)
- Dinner at Spring (he wants to spend 100-150 a head, but he doesn't want to wear a dinner jacket. Something "modern" but not necessarily haute, which I have no idea what that translates to for him, but he likes fusion foods -nothing like Alinea :(- but alternative ideas are welcome
-late show at 2nd city
-Thinking drinks at The Drawing Room to finish off the night
So Saturday is really what's tearing me apart. If we were to go everywhere I want, we would be comatose by 3.
-Breakfast/brunch at Big Jones or M. Henry (Between is closed for brunch til March!)
- I know this isn't food, but he's an Architecture buff and I'm an ignoramus in that department so any tour ideas? was thinking to take that hop on/off trolley bit, and that way I can hit up the Art Institute and other areas easily without being restricted.
- Thinking Hot Dougs for lunch or saving that for a mid afternoon snack and trying Custom House or Cafe Spaggia
- What are good bars/pubs to visit during the day/afternoon in Chicago? I am thinking something lowkey, warm and friendly. Hopleaf is high on my list, but should I save that for after dinner?
-Publican or Avec for dinner.
-Where to go for post dinner drinks. Figure we'll jump to two or three places. And here are some ideas I've culled.
Nacional 27, Weegee's, The Hideout, Duke of Perth, The matchbox, The Chipp Inn, The California Clipper, Red Lion Pub, Bungalow, and potentially Hopleaf if not earlier in the day.
This whole itinerary is highly open for change and suggestion. Thanks everyone!