I am on a quest that is making me miserable. I'm trying to roast chicken that can beat the great roast chicken at the vendors all around me in Manhattan (in less than four blocks I can buy great whole chicken for about $7 dollars from chicky's or food emporium.
Should I just give up and decide they win and it's not worth the effort? Then what happens when I move away from Manhattan and can't get it any longer...
Can anyone share with me your recipes and tell me why you
1) use a rack, do not use a rack
2) truss your chicken, do not truss
3) brine just with salt and water or add sugar/herbs/wine/etc.
4) get better results butterflying your chicken?
5) does a rotisserie really make that much difference?