Well, my SO decided to stash a few takeout containers in the oven while he had a quick break to finish a paper and return to them. He failed to mention this and I just preheated the oven. There was an unusual smell which I dismissed (note to self: always seek out unusual smells in the kitchen) and then went to put the dish in and met melting plastic. What would be your advice? I immediately turned it off to reduce the likely toxic fumes emanating and assumed it would harden as the oven cools and then I can just peel it up but I worry about any residual smoking if I turn the oven on again.