Lets face it, we are not in Manhattan or Frisco...so the pickens are lean.
So here are my picks for decent eats in our neck of the woods;
1) Xina in Toms River...Steve formerly of Sawa an Shogun, just knows
how to treat people. The sushi is extraordinary. A large and ultra fresh
assortment of oysters is a plus that is often overlooked at many sushi
restaurants. They always offer a whole fresh fish wok fried. Chinese
selections are exceptional. I like the orange beef. Calamari appetizers
Kobe Beef on a hot stone are all winners. Saki bombs away!
2) Shipwreck Grill in Brielle. I think the chef is inventive and the food normally very good. Stay away from the super high volume nights and
be mindful of the Monday night lobster deals. Foie gras/Scallop appetizer
3) (Currently closed due to Hurricane Sandy) Shipwreck Point Steak house...tough to get seat in summer, but
work the trek and effort. I loved my ribeye, bone in, and all the classic
steak house sides.
3) Tuscan House/Toms River, they recently added entertainment on
the weekends. Some standout menu items are the pork osso bucco,
papardelle bolognese, short ribs, rib eye all good. Desserts include
gelato and hot zeppole...which pair very well together if you have a
4) St Stephans in Spring Lake...Not for the food, just for the crowd
and the entertainment. I have never felt more welcome in any bar
then this one. Staff is efficient and friendly, crowd that goes there
are well outgoing and friendly. Just a nice place to go to hoist a
5) Atlantic Bar and Grill, Best oysters I ever had were here, big
chesepeakes. Crab cakes, diver Scallops, King crab. I will say this however, noise level can be offputting, the room is just noisey.