it's been 9 years since we lived in manhattan, and we just got back from our once a year or two weekend trip. thought i'd report back on the tremendous amount of eating we did. nothing groundbreaking, but lots of good chow thanks to prior posts...
* levain's chocolate chip walnut and oatmeal raisin cookies - amazing as ever
* beard pappa's puffs and mango shaved ice - go get it now, you will not be disappointed (the finest shaved ice imaginable, take your pick on which definition of fine applies here)
* katz's pastrami and chopped liver sandwich
* donut planet's coconut cream donut - wow, this place blows away the competition
* almost everything we ate at craft - i hate the menu approach, but the food is damn good
* a bottle of copain grenache at town - the meal was nice, with some fabulous scallops and some lamb sausage that was even better than the lamb loin it was served with, though the dining room was amazingly empty at 10:30pm. the wine was excellent
* a 25 minute meal of rabbit and mushroom risotto at the bar at picholine - we had just arrived in town, had a play to get to in less than an hour, rushed in and asked if they could serve up some risotto pronto! they came through. and service was gracious as can be, with a fabulous complimentary amuse before the risotto and a full tray of chocolates and cookie-thingies to cram down our throats on the rush out the door!
eh, not worth the stomach space (or a bit of a letdown):
* cupcakes at that place down in the lower east side, sugar something? not bad. but nothing compared to donut planet a few blocks away.
* bialy's at kosars. i guess a bialy just isn't that exciting anymore.
* laboratorio de gelato - my expectations were too high, the texture was a bit too icey and hard. the flavors were great though.
overall, an amazing few days in new york. thanks for all the suggestions. and, yes, we did do other things than just eating - we managed to see 4 plays/musicals, hit the friedlander and cezanne/pisarro exhibits at MOMA (very good), jog and bike through central park, and generally walk all over town. looking forward to the next trip already.
Updated 6 months ago | 34
Updated 2 years ago | 13
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 25
Updated 1 year ago | 12