I tried to roast a sheet pan of cremini mushrooms yesterday. However, they released a lot of water which never completely dried up even in the 400 degree oven. In the end, the mushrooms were still moist and soft rather than dry or slightly crispy. (Total oven time was 45 minutes.) Should I have poured some of the water out? I've experienced this excessive water phenomenon when sauteing, too. What is the proper way to roast or saute mushrooms so that they don't come out too moist? (Note: I did not wash the mushrooms, just brushed the dirt off, so there was no added water.)
Thanks for any advice. I love roasted mushrooms and am disappointed when they don't come out right.