Hi Pacific NW Chowhounders!
The hubster and I will be making our first trip to the San Juan Islands at the end of June/Beginning of July (Wednesday night - Saturday morning). We're starting our trip in Portland, then to Seattle, then up to the San Juan Islands. We have 3 breakfasts/brunches, 2 lunches, and 3 dinners to plan. I've been reading the boards, but the options are pretty overwhelming and I'm still trying to wade through things. In the meantime, I'm hoping maybe you all will have some additional good suggestions for us. We'll be staying at the Rosario Resort and we will have a car. Here's what we are and aren't looking for:
1) Some light eats - we can't eat heavy at every meal, so some light options will be good.
2) Good seafood - we live in MN and while we have fresh lake fish, we lack a lot of fresh seafood.
3) Food and preparations that are decidedly Pacific NW - it's always nice to have something you can't get at home.
4) Any interesting bakeries, coffee shops, ice cream shops and the like. Places that are good for snacks or those light eats I mentioned earlier.
5) Really good breakfasts
6) A couple good lunch options between Seattle and the San Juan Islands - we'll be getting on the ferry at Anacortes
7) Dinner recommendations that have entrees in the $25/pp range.
What we're NOT looking for
1) Dress codes. We like good food, but we like staying casual, so no restaurants that require suits, ties, etc. I'm guessing that's not an issue in the San Juans.
2) Uber fancy - we love fine dining and aren't opposed to it in any way, but we love hole-in-the-wall places too. As long as the food is good and the area is safe, we're good.
3) Asian or Mexican food - We have the largest Hmong population outside of Thailand in MSP, so we have our pick of awesome Asian food. If there's a stand out/don't miss place, we're not opposed, but would prefer to steer clear of that if at all possible.
4) Greek and Spanish restaurants are off the table too, due to a severe allergy to goat and sheep milk/cheeses
Thanks much! Once I get the list somewhat finalized, I'll run it past you for critique. :)