Hello SD CHers!
I'm about to visit SD for the third time in 7 years or so, and this time I hope to hit some CH-favourite restaurants while in town. On my last trip in 2010 I recall some great fish tacos in Pacific Beach, good brunch at Cafe Chloe, ridiculous sushi QPR, and ready availability of the ultimate hangover antidote (8am burritos). Other than that I'm pretty foggy; all I remember is that I didn't do a great job of researching food in advance. So this time I'd like is to eat a lot of what's missing in my beloved home, as recommended by you generous folk.
Some things that Montreal is lacking:
- Basically every "ethnic" cuisine: we have plenty of asian/indian/mexican/central american restaurants but few are good (and those that are usually have prices to match). What are some favourites here? I'll eat anything you guys think I absolutely can't miss. Bonus points for the best dirt-cheap mexican.
- Californian wines: these are sparse up here and costs are high, so much better value can be found in Old World imports that are purchased in huge volumes by our liquor board. Any good SD wine bars that are centrally located would be amazing!
- Fresh fish, namely sushi: Montreal now has some good seafood available from the east coast but sushi tends to be terrible, with a few expensive exceptions. I'll be eating a lot of it in SD so which places offer truly great value?
- I won't have a car and will rarely be with people who do. Easy accessibility is a plus, either by public transport or brief taxi from gaslamp-downtown. My walking commute in Montreal is about 1.5h round-trip so I'm also happy to wander on foot while in SD.
- I blew my eating budget on a few Michelin stars this year so wont be splurging in SD. I'll happily spend about $100 or so per person with some decent wine and tip, but can't stomach uber fine-dining.
- Unless it's exceptional, no French food or wine. These are very well represented in Montreal and I'd rather eat/drink something else for a change.
Thanks in advance!
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 2 years ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 12
Updated 1 year ago | 7
Updated 4 days ago | 81