Tried a few new places this year.
McLoon's Lobster Shack, Sprucehead Island
- this was the find of the trip
- gorgeous spot, quintessential Maine view of lobster boats bobbing in the setting sun, really best lobster with a view EVER
- you eat outside on picnic tables although they do have a covered area
- lobster rolls, steamed lobsters, corn, lobster stew (very good), corn chowder, pie, also grilled hamburgers and hotdogs for the lobster averse
- only open untl 7pm and BYOB
- keep driving out to the end of the road past all the lobster docks
- there is also a great used book store "Lobster Lane" on this road only open Saturdays and Sundays, best used books with a view :)
The Happy Clam, Tenants Harbor
- fun local spot owned by a German family so they have all the usual seafood dishes (very fresh) plus pub basics like burgers, chicken wings PLUS German dishes like schnitzel, etc.
- friendly service, great place to watch a Red Sox game
- best steamers of the trip
Rocky Coast Brewery, Rockland
- food was same as previous pub-type places at this location
- they are building a brewery but it isn't up and running yet. I hope they update the menu.
- Bloody Mary was really good - I've been on a search for a good one and this is it
- comfortable place with a refreshingly varied menu
- wasn't amazing but I appreciated the effort, so many restaurants in Maine serve the same things
- fantastic service
- french toast Babka - YUM
Some old favorites:
Rockland Cafe - we always go for the fish cakes but the beans stole the show this trip. Classic New England baked beans - so good! Now I have to make room in my standard breakfast order to include fish cakes and beans. I guess I'll have to skip the eggs :) Best fried clams of the trip and the cheapest.
Slipway, Thomaston - grilled calamari were in a wonderful pesto sauce but there was no char so it seemed more like a ceviche. Still good though.
Thomaston Cafe - great pear and brie omelette
Muscongus Bay Lobster, Round Pond - this is still my favoruite lobster on the dock because you get steamers and corn with your lobster dinner so I don't have to choose. AND they have oysters.
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 4 months ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 2 days ago | 20