Just a few quick comments after my recent trip to Maui (stayed in Honokawai area):
We mainly cooked in our condo kitchen -- having been to most restaurants in the Lahaina-Kaanapali area, I think the food's pretty mediocre for the price.
- Poke: I am a huge poke addict so I ate a ton of it. We bought poke at 3 places: the Fish Market in Honokowai, the Safeway in Lahaina and the Star Market in Honokowai. I had read the posts online here and had expected the Fish Market to be better than it was. It was definitely very fresh and good (they will toss an order fresh for you, etc.), but actually we felt the Safeway poke was just as good, and also it had the additional advantage of greater selection. Safeway's fish counter had 3 different kinds of ahi poke, plus mussel poke, tako poke, shrimp poke, several kinds of kimchee, etc. The tako poke and ahi poke were excellent there -- nice and fresh tasting. The Star Market poke wasn't good - prepackaged and slimy.
- Produce: The Farmer's Market, M-w-F, on lower Honoapiilani in Honokowai was great. The locally grown mangoes were perfectly ripe, nice big local avocados, good overall selection of local produce. Yes, it's pricier and touristy-er than the markets in Kahului, but it's also very convenient.
- Honokowai Izakaya & Deli: Good takeout fare -- loved the korean barbecue chicken and the chicken katsu don. A nice surprise were the lightly stir-fried vegetables that you can get instead of the mac salad.
- Fresh fish: The Fish Market was great for buying fish to cook at home. We got some ono and grilled that and made our own pineapple salsa to go with it -- delicious.
- We spent a couple of nights on Kaanapali beach. It can be tough to get a table at the places along the waterfront there (2 hour waits for mediocre food at Leilani's and Hula Grill!). Out of desperation one night we ended up at the Rusty Harpoon, I think it was called -- just awful. Another time we had the brunch buffet at the Sheraton, which also wasn't very good.
Updated 1 month ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 2 months ago | 5
Updated 9 hours ago | 19
Updated 1 day ago | 9