I had my first Marche Movenpick experience today and it was a bit of a disappointment.
Before I get to the negatives, let me say what I liked about it:
(1) I liked the concept of making it a European market- I thought it had more of an Italian Tuscan feel personally.
(2) I liked the array of choices they offered. I spent at least 15 minutes walking around trying to decide on what to have.
What I didn't like:
(1) The traffic flow of the place was not well planned out IMHO. No logical flow and too many dead ends.
(2) The clam chowder I ordered in a bread boule was too watery and the bread was like it had been toasted.
(3) For dessert I had the cheesecake which looked great-it had a mixed berry topping and what looked like streaks of blueberry juice in the cheesecake to give a marbling effect. Well, the looks were deceiving. It was luke-warm in temperature. And, the crust was a flaky-crumbly when cut into- which I thought easily had the potential to get caught in my throat resulting in coughing spasms.
(4) A mild bone of contention. They automatically add a 12% gratuity on to the bill. I'm not cheap by any means and tip well but the issue I have with this is because they didn't earn it in any way, shape, or form. Nobody waited on me in the traditional sense. Two people asked to take my tray away- I declined the first but went with the second. It was the second person who brought me a small glass of water without my asking for it (at least in a Chinese buffet, your water level never dips below the first 1/3rd of the glass). And, nobody checked up on me during the meal.
I mentioned this to the supervisor who rung me up and he said it was a collective pool shared by the waitstaff. I said I'm not going to fight over it but I really wasn't waited on in a conscientious way and certainly in the traditional sense. I also added that maybe they could the staff that gets the tip better and leave it up to the diner to decide how much they should get.
Overall, I agree with the general consensus of the hounds who have ate there (I started a thread sometime ago asking about this place after I had heard of it). I'm not totally turned off and I'd give it a second try (maybe they just had an off day), but any second chance will be the "make it" or "break it" factor as to if I go back.
Updated 2 months ago | 2
Updated 2 years ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 11
Updated 1 year ago | 3