They don't come any more traditional than this "dai chow" eatery in Overseas Union Garden, a largely Chinese suburb in Kuala Lumpur.
There were 6 of us at dinner this evening - I have 5 KL old-timers albeit die-hard foodie friends - it was amazing - I did a stocktake of their ethnic background, and found that my KL friends consisted of 1 Cantonese, 1 Teochew, 1 Hokkien, 1 Henghua & 1 Hakka. And they chose a Cantonese spot for our chowdown.
What we had this evening:
- Cantonese-style steamed whole organic chicken, chopped up and served head & all. The soy sauce dressing was delicious.
- "Kum chin tofu", a hard-to-find traditional beancurd dish, cooked with crabmeat, eggs, snowpeas and julienned carrots. It was very. very good.
- Steamed freshwater prawns with ginger and scallions, with egg-white. Absolutely delicious - ultra-fresh prawns used here.
- Stir fried broccoli, celery, ginger, carrots & flat slivers of abalone-shaped fishcake.
- Deep-fried carp with sweet egg-threads. This dish was delicious but a bit oily for my taste.
KL-style traditional Canbtonese comfort food at its best here.
Sun Kam Kee Restaurant (新金記海鮮飯店)
123, Jalan Hujan Emas 8
Overseas Union Garden
58200 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603-7982 6149
Updated 2 months ago | 2
Updated 5 months ago | 5
Updated 4 months ago | 1
Updated 2 months ago | 5
Updated 3 months ago | 2