Ok…someone needs to stand up here and say this emperor has no clothes!
We have dined in fine restaurants all over the world, and have spent much more than Komi’s (in this case, exorbitant price) per person. This restaurant is a joke. In fact we laughed often at it’s pretentiousness- which they are, in spite of it’s amateurish fare and modest décor.
-the little brioche bite topped with salted cod: this cod was extremely salty, and stringy…getting stuck in our teeth. Salt cod is supposed to be soaked in baths of water to remove most the salt. These ‘creative’ chefs-thought they didn’t need to…they really should.
- crudo of hamachi and sea urchin on a chickpea ginger puree and crudo of Monkfish liver and scallops: interesting textures I guess…but no flavors…zero …isn’t it supposed to taste good too? …or just taste of something?
- the sardines were tasty…but we were asked to share! two tiny 2” pieces of fish. There were 4 of us, and I was sharing this tiny plate with the person to my side…trying valiantly to slice this “bite” in two…and carry it with fork and knife to my fresh dish placed ceremoniously before me. What? For $125 per person…we are asked to share this dish?
- The little hot dogs were a happy relief. It’s popular because it’s the first dish of the evening that has FLAVOR!
- I know what a good potato gnocchi is…I do. I’ve had it all over Italy. This was soggy, mushy, barely formed gnocchi….with no discernable flavor. This gnocchi was like my first mistakes, trying to learn how to make a good gnocchi….not enough four worked in or something.
- A super sweet stuffed date in the middle of dinner? …super sweet. Wrong place, wrong time….too-too.
- The suckling pig should be a happy time. Greasy, not tender chunks of..pig, with skin that had the texture of leather. Sad.
- This Goat shoulder. It had no flavor. It tasted like it was boiled for a day…pulled out, and dried and then seared crisp on the outside. Great crunch on the outside…no flavor..just boiled meat flavor…awful bland mushy meat on the inside. Thank goodness for the little tasty sides that could mask the meat.
- Oh the little balls of…breaded cheese. Crisp on the outside, melted cheese on the inside. They hold out a plate of them, and ask us to use our fingers to serve ourselves…and then add it might be a little warm. Well, there is no way to test that…holding this cheese ball in our fingers, and it’s bite size…so it gets popped in the mouth. One of our party said she thought it burned the top of her mouth. Shouldn’t they have the temperature of it down…so this doesn’t happen? Dumb. Put it on a plate then, so we could cut into it and test the temperature.
- The gyro was very good, the rigatoni was good.
- These desserts are a sad play on dessert. When you see little chocolate things, you expect sweet, right. Not here….no sweet- for all three desserts. The some kind of “bark” actually tasted of burnt, sticky sugar…and this stuff got stuck on our teeth….really. Something sticky and nasty.
Yes, they will have two servers presenting plates at the same time, switching out fresh dishes in front of us that are many times not used, because they also suggest we use our fingers and serve ourselves family style from a community serving dish. …or they ask us to share dishes that are placed between two people- and it seems useless to cut and drag your portion to the fresh plate in front of you.
Honestly…a waste of money, and time. Who’s agreeing with me here? I can’t be alone.