I couldn't resist! Here it was Memorial Day weekend and I was going to a cookout in Massachusetts with family I hadn't seen in eons. The hostess asked me to bring a dessert.
We had a birthday girl in the group, celebrating her 50th, which as we all know is not so much fun. The occasion just screamed to me: MAKE KITTY LITTER CAKE.
So I listened to my inner felines.
The original recipe for Kitty Litter Cake calls for broken up cake mixed with pudding. NOPE, not for me. I made a Boston Cream Pie Variation - Yellow Cake filled with Whipped Cream and iced with Chocolate Ganache.
Here is my recipe. Does anyone else make this? If so what do you use for the base? Pix/story here: https://patriciagay.wordpress.com/201...
Kitty Litter Cake
Yellow Cake: 2 yellow cake mixes - plus eggs, water, oil as directed
Chocolate Ganache Icing:
2 cups heavy cream
20 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips -use Ghirardelli or good quality chocolate
Whipped Cream Filling:
3 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
One large package Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
a few drops of blue and green food coloring
About a dozen Tootsie Rolls, large and small. Sometimes all you can find are “midget” tootsie rolls which are too tiny on their own. In a pinch you can use them by combining several together after warming them.
1. Prepare cake mixes and bake in 13x9x2 pans according to package directions. Cool, then cover in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to assemble. Freezing hardens the cake making it much easier to slice without breaking.
2. Prepare Litter/Crumbs. Crush vanilla sandwich cookies in small batches in a food processor or by hand in ziplock bags with a rolling pan. You need enough crumbs to fully cover the top of the cake in the cat litter pan. Set aside 1/2 cup of crumbs. To 1/4 cup of crumbs add a few drops of green food coloring and mix. To the other 1/4 cup of crumbs add a few drops of blue food color and mix. Set both colored crumbs aside.
3. When ready to assemble the cake, prepare the Chocolate Ganache Icing. Place chopped chocolate/chips in a large bowl. Heat 2 cups heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium high heat until it just boils. Pour cream over the chocolate and stir gently with a heatproof spatula until chocolate fully dissolves (About three minutes). Set aside at room temperature to cool slightly while assembling cake.
4. Whip Cream: In large mixing bowl, add 3 cups heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla. Whip cream with mixer until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to assemble cake.
5. Assemble the cake in the plastic litter pan: Cut one frozen cake in half lengthwise with a sharp knife or sharp knife plus dental floss. Place bottom layer on bottom left of cat litter pan. Cut second cake into pieces to fit the remainder of the pan. So entire bottom of pan is line in cake.
6. Cover cake with Whipped Cream. Top with second layers of cake.
7. Pour Chocolate Ganache over entire cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
8. When ready to serve, take cake out of refrigerator. Sprinkle a layer of plain cookie crumbs over the top of the cake, covering the ganache completely. Then sprinkle the green and blue crumbs on top to look like chlorophyll.
9. Make Tootsie Roll cat droppings. Heat several tootsie rolls in the microwave about 10 seconds or so until soft, almost melted. Shape them like various cat droppings, long, round, etc…
10. Place tootsie rolls randomly on the cake, and hang a few over the sides of the pan. Dust lightly with a few more cookie crumbs. The final result should look like a dirty cat litter box.
11. Serve with the pooper scooper for the finishing touch.