Honey's Kettle in Culver City has so much going for it, that it's faults are almost "overlookable", but they seem like they would be so easy to fix.
First the good:
1) The chicken...just amazing, and exactly the way fried chicken should be. Crispy, not greasy, with great juicy flavor.
2) The biscuits...light and flaky. Delicious by themselves, but with honey, it's just like heaven.
3) The location...I like the "new" Culver City. Lots of street parking, and lots of places to eat. I drive there from Hollywood.
4) The price...For less than $18, my girlfriend and I get chicken, biscuits, a salad, sodas, and fries. Amazing...especially in LA.
Now the bad:
1) (Most importantly) The service...never anything above adequate at Honey's Kettle, my most visit was poor by any standards. Four employees visable behind the counter, and my girlfriend and I alone waiting to order while they argued about who would have to take our order...in front of us! The guy who "lost" was obviously having a bad day (or week, or life), and wasn't helpful, friendly, or even passably professional. Were this my employee, I would have fired him on the spot.
When we finally got our order taken, we sat and waited. It was about 5-7 minutes, which was fine (especially since it usually means that it's gonna be fresh and hot), but when they called us, the hush puppies weren't ready, they had forgotten our drinks, and, most egregiously, our "8 piece combo" had only 7 pieces. I wanted to complain, but my SO talked me out of it, since the counter guy had been so rude.
I don't feel like I have outrageous standards for service in this type of place...I just want to be greeted, have my order taken and prepared correctly, and then a "Thank you" or "good-bye" or something. Not one of these things happened on our visit.
2) The sides...while the biscuits and sweet pickles are great, none of the other sides we've tried were that good. The lettuces tend to be brown, the hush puppies bland, and the corn on the cob ius never tender. Stick to the chicken.
3) Cleanliness...when we arrived, we were the only guests in the restaurant. And there was not even ONE clean table. We had to ask for napkins to wipe down a table. That said, the bathroom seemed clean (a big plus).
To sum up: Honey's Kettle's chicken is so good that I frequently drive 30 minutes when I've got the craving for outstanding fried chicken. That said, they could very soon lose even dedicated customers like me if they don't sharpen up their customer service.
Updated 1 year ago | 6
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 6 months ago | 0
Updated 2 years ago | 0
Updated 13 days ago | 36