I am fortunate to know some people who are from Hanoi, so I have received many food recommendations. Even though I do trust their judgment, I want to run this list by my fellow Chowhounders to see how it stacks up. What should I omit? Are there any gems that I am missing? Also, if you are in town at the same time, maybe you'd like to join me for a meal? Thank you in advance for your advice.
THE LIST I RECEIVED:
1. Sầm Sơn seafood restaurant, 77 Dốc Bác Cổ, HaNoi, Vietnam
II. Another one: good at fish, chicken, snails:
1. Phương Nguyên: 51-53 Tô Ngọc Vân. Tel: 823 9948.
Ask for grilled chicken, "xôi trắng" with garlic
III. A good buffet <recommended>
1. "Sen"<Lotus> Restaurant, near "Hồ Tây" (West Lake or "Tây" lake). On the way to Ho Tay water park. Ask the taxi driver where's "Sen" buffet restaurant, he should know.
price: shoud be under 10 USD, a wide variety of food including some Vietnamese traditional food. (There are also some western food such as Spaghetti).
IV. You CAN NOT MISS THIS: Chả Cá LÃ VỌNG:
Number 14, Chả Cá Street, Hà Nội
Or you can ask any taxi driver where is Chả Cã Lã Vọng Restaurant.
Patricia Schultz put this restaurant in "1000 Places to See Before You Die".
1. Làng Ngói: 27 Ngọc Khánh. Tel: 772 3188
a very nice & unique restaurant with red-titled costages. Good cocktail and fresh Icecream soup.
11. Akataiyou (Japanese): 18 Phan Chu Trinh. Tel: 936 1148.
12. Seo Ha Garden (Korean): 6/42 Liễu Giai. tel: 762 7900.
13. Mother's Pride (Malaysian): 6C Phan Chu Trinh. Tel: 826 2168.
14. Tex-Mex (Mexican): P112, K1, Giảng Võ. Tel: 851 4479.
15. San Hô (Seafood): 58 Lý Thường Kiệt. TEl: 934 9184.
16. Sinh Châu (Singaporean): 75 Lý Thường Kiệt. Tel: 942 4629.
17. Lotus (Thai): Melia Hotel, 44B Lý Thường Kiệt. Tel: 934 3343.
18. Paris Deli Hanoi: 6 Phan Chu Trinh. Tel: 934 5269.
19. Mama Rosa (Italian): 6 Lê Thái Tổ. tel: 825 8057.
20. Indian Restaurant (Indian): 41B Lý Thái Tổ. Tel: 824 1166.