I need recommendations on the best Houston eats. I grew up in L.A., never been to Texas, all I know are the usual stereotypes about the heat, the hairstyles, the people, the guns... Here's the thing: my boyfriend is thinking of moving back to his hometown of Houston after his current job so I may have to consider LIVING there!
Kidding!! I'm open-minded, willing to check the place out. I'm visiting for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend. I want to find the BEST food Houston has to offer, particularly the typical Houston/Texas food that I can't find in L.A. I already know we're going to Hugo's cuz his family loves it. I browsed other posts, and I'll narrow it down if that helps:
* Nothing high-priced or super-fancy, I want to try the places that the average person would frequent rather than "special occasion" restaurants. Local-type places with lots of character.
* BBQ is definitely good in my book. If the place has great sides, that's even better. I'm a mac n cheese and cornbread fiend.
* I'm not a fan of chili or big steaks
* Desserts! The best homemade-style cakes and pies. Ice cream too.
* Seafood! But not Cajun seafood unless the sides are outstanding
* No Asian or Italian, I get enough of that here.
* No burgers, hot dogs or pizza, unless they serve something unusual.
* Best independent coffeehouse!
I know for sure we'll be in the SW suburbs, Rice U., and wherever the touristy area is. But am willing to drive up to an hour for someplace really great. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!